October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and whether you love to shop, attend events, walk or run, there are tons of different ways to support the cause. Check out the list below of opportunities to go pink in South Windsor and beyond:
- Batik Salon is celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness month with a "Think Pink & Aqua" fundraiser running for the month of October.
- Brighton Collectibles at Evergreen Walk in South Windsor will again promote the sale of a limited edition bracelet for Breast Cancer Awareness Month until the end of October.
- M.E.L.T. has a Pumpkin Workout on Oct. 27 for Breast Cancer at its South Windsor location. "Come support Breast Cancer Research & an awesome pumpkin workout," its website says.
- Stop by Fred Astaire Studio of South Windsor, which is "Passionately Pink." Help them raise money for the Susan G. Komen Foundation and receive a Passionately Pink pin.
In addition to these South Windsor events, Connecticut residents will be participating in the following areas:
- The company will donate $2 to Susan G. Komen for the Cure® for every Wacoal bra, shapewear piece or b.tempt'd bra purchased. And, with a purchase of $80 or more, you will receive a Wacoal Spot On Tote Bag as a gift.
- A fundraising walk sponsored by the American Cancer Society.
- There will be a raffle, door prizes, donations, "and of course an awesome Zumba party" organizers of this event say.
- The fire company will host a car and motorcycle show, including antique fire apparatus and a sponsorhip motorcycle ride for Bikers For The Cure. All proceeds will go to the Susan G. Komen For the Cure.
- Premium Outlets and Susan G. Komen for the Cure are teaming up to support breast cancer awareness, research, and treatment programs in communities across the country. During the month of October, donate $10 to support the cause and receive 25% off one single item from select stores including Cole Haan, DKNY, Elie Tahari, J.Crew, Kate Spade New York, Michael Kors, Talbots, Theory, and many more.
- All proceeds from late-night bowling in the High Rollers Luxury Lanes at Foxwoods Casino will support Komen Connecticut. Also, an all-female rock band will perform at the Scorpion Bar in the casnio, with all cover charges donated to Komen Connecticut.
- The Connecticut Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure invites leaders of
faith based organizations to participate in an in-depth seminar on the breast health needs of women. Seminar topics will include the state of breast cancer in Connecticut as well as presentations on a statewide report on breast cancer.
Or you could attend an inspirational luncheon in Derby, CT to commemorate women who have been working tirelessly to spread breast cancer awareness.
There are even more ways to spread breast cancer awareness this month by supporting national organizations that are fighting for a cure.
Research centers like Susan G. Komen for the Cure are selling pink ribbon merchandise and it’s a twofer — retail therapy and donating to a cause that affects millions.
You can also support breast cancer research by affixing a special stamp to your mail. The U.S. Postal Service has been selling a stamp commemorating breast cancer awareness for the past 15 years. The agency has raised $75 million so far for research programs at the National Institutes of Health and the Department of Defense.
The American Cancer Society’s annual Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk is organized nationwide and so far more than 8 million people have walked for this cause and raised about $460 million.
TELL US: Is there a special event you participate in to support breast cancer research? Share your stories and thoughts with us by adding them to the comments sections of this article. Also, be sure to add photos of you and your friends supporting the cause to the photo gallery above.