Good morning, South Windsor! Today is Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012. There are 19 days left in the year.
I know you are all just dying to get my two cents in on this one, but here goes: Elf on the Shelf freaks me out.
If I were a kid, he would scare me out of my one-piece pajamas.
So this little guy with the creepy grin takes residence all over my home during the holidays and changes his place every day (courtesy of an adult), all in the good fun of making kids feel as though they are being surveilled 24/7. Each night, the elf supposedly goes back to Santa and tells him whether or not the kid has been good or bad.
Is this an extension of the Patriot Act of which I’m not aware?
What’s more, I also can’t put aside that the elf, in some neighborhoods, would be labeled a snitch and, therefore should fear for his safety.
I dunno. At the risk of sounding like a crotchety old man, my holidays were magical enough without heaping on more of this stuff. I mean, not too long ago, getting too many presents and loading up on candy constituted a fun time.
Am I that out of touch?
Here’s your Daily 5:
1. The South Windsor Police Services offers a free child safety seat check every Wednesday morning at the South Windsor Fire Headquarters on Ellington Road at 8 a.m.
2. A big slate of sports action today, with the South Windsor High ice hockey team squaring off against Simsbury on the road at 5:45 p.m., the wrestling squad takes on RHAM on the road and the boys basketball team faces Rocky Hill at home at 7 p.m. The indoor track teams compete in the Weslyen University Developmental meet today at 5 p.m. GO BOBCATS!
3. The South Windsor Human Relations Commission meets tonight at 6:30 p.m.
4. R&R at Yoga Born at 6 p.m.
5. GMO Free CT Rally at noon in Hartford.