Good morning, South Windsor! Today is Sunday, Aug. 5, 2012; there are 148 days left in the year.
So the biggest controversy to come out of the Olympics thus far - outside of the kinda naughty, but cool fact that they are the 30th, or XXX, games (tee hee) - isn’t possible doping of some track and field athlete or whether Michael Phelps’ dad is, indeed, a real-life, honest to goodness dolphin.
Nope. The biggest thing for wags to, well, wag about so far is that eight badminton doubles players forfeited their chances at a medal when they tried to throw matches during the round-robin phase to gain more favorable (read: winnable) ties in the knockout stages.
I don’t know why we’re shocked. Putting aside, for a moment, the logic of having a system that lends itself to such abuse (after all, these athletes train virtually their entire lives just for the opportunity to win the gold, so why wouldn’t they go for the path of least resistance? Just be less obvious about it next time, K?), let’s not forget the sport’s name. It isn’t “niceminton.” It’s BADminton. And they know how to party.
Oh, and apparently throw matches. Badly.
Here’s your Daily 5:
1. The South Windsor Historical Society Farmers Market is today from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
2. The Renegade Knights Charity Pig Roast is being held in Branford today. It’s a hike, but it’s worth it.
3. The Suffield Players will hold auditions for their fall production of "Regrets Only," a stylish contemporary comedy, today at 6 p.m.
4. The Kitwa Academy Childhood Development Center has Open House registration today all day in East Windsor.
5. The Our Savior Lutheran Church has services today at 8:30 a.m. in the sanctuary and 10:15 a.m. in the community room.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something