Good morning, South Windsor! Today is Thursday, Nov. 22, 2012; there are 39 days left in the year.
Normally, this is the spot where I give my Daily 5, but there’s really only three things to do on Thanksgiving: enjoy family and friends, eat and watch football. Not necessarily in that order.
Just a year ago, I was in Chicago, celebrating the holiday with my brother, his wife and their 3-year-old daughter. I didn’t think life could get any better than that.
I was wrong.
So, like countless hacks across the country, I’m going to give you a short list of the things I have to be thankful for:
- The most beautiful wife in the world (not hyperbole), and great kids.
- My brother, his wife and that niece of mine.
- A great job - Even though I have an evil ogre of a boss (OK, this is definitely hyperbole), I love this work. It’s been a pleasure to serve as South Windsor Patch’s LE.
- The best friends a man could have (not hyperbole). All I know is that when life has taken its dips, it wasn’t money that brought me back again. It was the people close to me who picked me up. Pete, Ken, Lisa, Barbara, Phil, Julie, Jeff, Wendy, the Mikes, Bobby, Rebecca, among so many others, I can’t thank you enough.
- My health - As Enfield Patch LE Tim Jensen wrote, there is no substitute for this.
- Gizmo the Wonderdoglet - proof, along with Hobbits, that you are never too small to change the world.
- The Red Sox. Who kept me laughing all summer long.
- The New York Mets. Who have kept me laughing for a quarter of a century.
My life isn’t perfect. Far from it. I sweat the small stuff too much, but I’m working on that. Which brings me back to what I’m perhaps most thankful for. I’m closer today to becoming the person I want to be than I was a year ago. And though I may never get there, I keep striving. Every day. And I have all of you to thank, at least in part, for that.
What do you have to be thankful for? Share your list below or upload your Thanksgiving photos here.