Good afternoon South Windsor! Today is Thursday, June 28, 2012; there are 186 days left in the year.
Welcome to the first of what I anticipate will be many Daily 5s, a feature that will let you know five things that are going on in the area for that particular day.
Because this is the first official day of the South Windsor Patch (though you may have seen me already out and about), I’m going to let you in on five things you need to know about your local editor — me.
1. I’m a native of Connecticut, having grown up in Stamford before moving to the Greater Hartford area in 1999 to practice law.
After growing tired of the prestige and money from being a lawyer, I decided to become a journalist 10 years ago. I most recently served as the sports editor for a weekly newspaper in the Farmington Valley before signing on with Patch in August 2011. I served as the local editor of The Granbys Patch for 10 months before launching the South Windsor site today.
2. I’m a proud graduate of Syracuse University, from which I earned degrees in political science and newspaper journalism. I graduated from the Hofstra University School of Law in 1997.
3. This may be a part of Red Sox Nation, but I am a New York Yankees fan through and through (feel free to fling insults, but not rotten tomatoes, please). I also love the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Chelsea Football Club of the English Premier Soccer League.
I also find Taylor Swift, in addition to being a li'l darlin', to be a musical genius. I love the Tay Tay. (Standard South Windsor Patch Disclaimer regarding Taylor Swift: There is absolutely nothing creepy at all to have a crush on a woman 20 years my junior. Nope. Nothing creepy at all. Move along. Nothing to see here.)
4. Given my background, I try to cover everything from town meetings, to business features, to elections, to sports, to quirky things going on in South Windsor. I believe everyone has a story to tell.
5. I’m incredibly handsome. So much so that people sometimes are afraid to approach me and let me know what’s going on in town. Trust me, even though I am incredibly good looking, not to mention extremely humble, you can talk to me if you see me out and about. Just make sure you don’t have any food in your hands, as I will most likely take it from you without asking the obligatory, “Hey, you gonna eat that?”
Now that you know a bit about me, you should learn a bit about how to use the site. If you're curious, take a look at this .